Friday, June 5, 2009

When I was 30.....


1..... I wish I knew that my kids had Celiac Disease. I could have made them feel better sooner. I could have been fresher by getting more sleep rather than being awakened every night with sad little children with tummy aches.

2. ....I wish I knew that it was pointless to worry about things that might not happen. I needed to make the environment safe and listen to little warning promptings when they came.

3. ......I wish I knew that the time with my kids was going to go so fast.

4. .......I wish I had known that feelings of dread were often felt prior to big wonderful events that were going to be a lot of work but just had to be lived through, not eliminated. I always felt I should not go on a vacation, up until I was about to leave. If I had succumbed to the feeling of dread, I'd have never gone anywhere with the family. Once I was on the way, the feeling left. I had the same feelings right before an event I was in charge of running at church. The way I gauged whether it was just me or a heavenly prompting to cancel, was this: I proceeded to do the event or vacation. If the feeling didn't leave after I began the event or left on the vacation, I pulled the plug. Every time I planned to go to the temple, I felt like I shouldn't go. Once in the car, the feeling always left.

5..... I wish I had known it was okay to say no when someone asked me to watch their children, if I was already overwhelmed. I later learned that it is best to say (to someone who was phoning, except in an emergency), "Can I call you back and let you know if I'm able to help you? I need to check my schedule. I can't check it right now, I've got my hands full." Most of the time I could help, but many times, I needed more help than the person who was calling. And many times I said yes before I realized I already had something planned that I ended up canceling.

6. ....I wish I knew that it is best not to jam too many things into small time periods. It just creates a lot of frustration when it makes you late. It's best to toss out the least important items. Leave a little earlier than you need. I'm still working on this one. I know it now....but old habits are hard to break.

7. ......I wish I knew that kids need to be working next to a parent on household chores rather than just sending the kids off to do a chore while a parent does a different chore. A parent can make work fun with a little bit of creativity. It's a great time for heart to heart talks.

8. ........I wish I knew that troubling times need a quiet room and a logical mind that is not weary or hungry or angry. After I am fed, and rested and calmed down, I feel promptings come to me that help to let me know how to decide matters quickly.

9. ......I'm glad I knew that it was more important to have children that knew I loved them than it was to keep a spotless house. I'm glad my kids felt like there was no place like home. I'd rather be cleaning up a mess than wondering what my kids were playing at someone else's house.

10. ....I'm glad I said what I meant and meant what I said. I was honest with my children and with people I knew and loved. I did go climb in the shower sometimes so my kids could tell someone at the door I was in the shower but I never let them say I wasn't at home if I was really home. I'm glad my kids understand that I did my best and that is all anyone can ask.

1 comment: