Friday, March 27, 2009

My built in sun visor from overhead sun

As I was talking to my sister, Linda, about some of the things we remember playing as children, she reminded me of a game that led to the emergency room. We had a staircase that was walled on both sides. We got into and on cardboard boxes and rode them down the stairs. Do not try this at home. Linda wears a scar on the underside of her chin where the cement floor at the bottom hit her going at a high rate of speed. We were some crazy kids, I think.

I had lots of trips to the emergency room or rather, Dr.'s office to get stitched up. But, NO broken bones. That is amazing to me when I think that all of my kids except Cassie have had broken bones in their childhoods. When I was a child, my forehead had a built-in visor from swelling caused by bumps. It's as if I didn't get the memo that you can put your hands out in front of you to catch yourself. I just fell right onto my head. I know what you are thinking....it's not nice of you to think I have brain damage.

I fell on my head while roller skating from grandma's house and got a bad bump. My friend Jeff pushed me off the porch and I hit my head. When in 6th grade, I was sliding on an ice runway we made for sliding on our shoes and I lost my balance and smacked my head so hard I was knocked out. That one blacked my eye for 2 months. I went from black, to blue, to green and then yellow. That one was the one that caused brain damage, smarty pants. I'm pretty sure that was a slight concussion.

I was watching a Shetland pony eat some grass and I was standing in front of his head looking down at him. He raised up to take a break and hit me in the chin. My bottom tooth went clear through my bottom lip and I bled like crazy. Speaking of Shetland ponies, I entered a little buckaroo rodeo when I was in grade school and was bucked off a pony going pretty fast and bucking hard. But, that time the ground was nice and soft.
And it should be noted that I stayed on til after the bell had sounded.

One time I was walking on top of a fence that was very narrow on top and I slipped and fell. I hung by my shoulder blade to the board at the top of the fence, knocking the wind out of me. As I gasped for breath, I maneuvered myself off the fence and dropped to the ground. I stepped on nails and got tetanus shots regularly. I got beaned by a softball that smacked me, where? Yup, in the forehead. I was pitching to one of the Bates boys in the vacant lot next door. He hit it and smacked my so hard I dropped straight bodied, right to the ground. I really do think I saw little birdies flying above me that day. For years after I stopped bumping my head, I still had people ask me what happened to make the bumps on my forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment